Tales From the Field

Elder Drews' letters from the Washington Tacoma Mission. Sept. 2005- Sept 2007

Friday, October 21, 2005

10 October 2005

Monday, October 10, 2005

Dear Jamie:

What’s up? I haven’t written in a while—sorry about that…I have had a great week!

I am getting along great with my companion, although I feel like I want to do much more. I know we can. Our investigators are increasing Just this past week we have 6 new investigators. It is great. I had the awesome experience to baptize Michelle Diehm last night. She is one of the girls we found by tracting about 2 –1/2 weeks ago. I have only been out here for three full weeks. I find it really amazing the way God works. Also there is another girl who is 25 years old and she has been upset at God for so long. One reason being that her sister (her only family) died about 8 months ago. She is now taking care of her sister’s kids. When we got to her door I just knew she was going to tell us something bad happened to her, but something told me to look past it, to look past her anger, and see the peace she has. Then she told us about her sister and her sad childhood. I looked past all that and saw a really sweet spirit. We were able to bear testimony to her and promise her that she will get to see her sister again. The second time we visited her we committed her to read some Book of Mormon. We also got her to come take a tour of the church and gave her the 1st discussion. We plan to teach her more. It’s amazing how the Lord can soften one’s heart.

I have a funny story to share. About a week ago we were tracting on this street and knocked on a door where there was nobody home—just a bunch of rowdy dogs. We kept walking to the next house, and one of the dogs was banging on the window and broke it. A piece of glass flew all the way out to the street and hit my companion in the face. It didn’t hurt him but it was sure funny! The owner was probably very upset when he got home.

The other story was scary at the moment but really funny now. We were tracting again and ended up going to a house that had a No Tresspassing sign. We had done it before and nothing happened so we went ahead up the long driveway. At the top was the owner. He yelled and told us to stay where we were and then he ran inside his shed. My comp and I looked at each other and both said, “Let’s go!” We ended up just turning around and heading for the next house. The guy was yelling and telling us to wait and he was chasing us with a gun in his hands. He ended up calling the cops and telling them we trespassed. The cops get those calls all the time and never really do anything about it. He followed us for a while. He blew the whole thing out of proportion. I look back on it and just laugh.

Well, I hope all is going well for you guys. Let me know how all the family is doing. You and mom are doing great keeping in touch with me. I really appreciate it. Please let everyone know that I am doing great and I miss them all. I also love you all. Remember who you represent—we are all children of Heavenly Father. And at baptism, we promised to keep his commandments and took Christ’s name upon ourselves. We shouldn’t defile that—we should represent!

I love you all –hope to hear from you soon!
Love Always, Your Bro,
Elder Drews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home